Pride plans may have been on hold for the last two years – a massive disappointment to many in the LGBTQA+ community, especially those planning to celebrate for the first time – but 2022 sees a welcome return to parades, marches, house parties and all things public and proud.
There’s a lot of time to make up for, so 2022 could see the biggest, brightest Pride celebrations that are so-needed right now. Hosting a parade afterparty or simply getting into the groove at home with friends, our guide to throwing the perfect Pride party will help you join in the fun.
Pride-themed party ideas
A Pride party is the perfect excuse to go big on creativity. Picking a party theme is a great first step. It allows you to hang everything around it – from food and drink to music and games.
Finding the ideal theme can be tricky, so here are a few of our favourite ideas to add some va-va-voom:
- Rainbow explosion – Bold colours, vibrant outfits and dial-it-up colour riots.
- Toto, we’re not in Kansas anymore – Ruby slippers. Cowardly lion. Emerald green everything. Enough said.
- LGBT+ icons costumes – Celebrate with LGBTQA+ icons. Queer Britain is a great source of inspiration.
- Festival chic – Bring the festival vibe home. Think face paints, florals and fluorescents.
- Retro rainbow – Take inspiration from vibrant 80s kids’ shows, from Rainbow Brite to the Carebears.
- Pride superheroes – Because everyone needs that extra special sidekick.
Want to nail the theme? Think creatively and remember that a Pride party is a celebration of the togetherness of the LGBTQA+ community. From designing invites and perfecting playlists to conjuring up a rainbow-themed menu and selecting intriguing wine (hello, Madame F rosé, which you can helpfully pick up in Sainsbury’s), your party theme is the sum of its parts but don’t sweat it too much – the secret is to have fun, celebrate and enjoy.
Fantastic food ideas
Aiming for a glamorous, sophisticated party? A sit-down treat for the senses with luxe dishes should be the order of the day. Get artsy with some glitzy menus in Canva and go Pride name crazy for courses, plates and cocktails. Delicate starters, posh mains and decadent desserts will channel restaurant vibes, especially with wow-inducing table favours.
More boho, summer chic feel? Let your guests experience a selection of artful summery dishes such as pastas or crowd-pleasing platters. Fresh fruit, cold meats, salads, bread and cheeses served on bright plates with vibrant glassware, and a carefree attitude will add seasonal sparkle. For a non-traditional variant, opt for seafood platters such as clams, prawns and crab (check for allergies, first).
To get into the Pride spirit, go overboard on colour combos. From rainbow rolls and bright fruit skewers to baking a rainbow showstopper cake with enough colouring to send everyone into an E-number overdrive. Other rainbow-themed food inspiration? Rainbow fruit tart, iced rainbow cupcakes, rainbow pizza and even rainbow trout if you’re on the more savoury side of life.
The flavour profiles in our Madame F wines are diverse and broad, meaning you can pair them with hundreds of summer dishes that can feed the party mood. And don’t forget about the sweet stuff either – our white and rosé wines pair deliciously with fruit salads and ice cream (with sprinkles, naturally).
Party drink ideas
Madame F wines are the perfect choice when it comes to drinks for your Pride party. They taste great on their own, but since we’re in the party mood, why not shake things up? Our red wine can transform into deliciously moreish Sangria when served with chopped peaches, pineapple, and oranges (perfect for sharing). Our refreshing white wine can be coupled with lemonade or soda water and rosemary to create a sparkling wine spritzer. But if you’re in the mood for something a little cooler, how does baby pink frosé sound?
Need more inspiration? Our guide to the best wine cocktails is the ideal starting point.
And remember, it’s a good idea to ensure you’ve got a selection of refreshing fruit juices, tonics and fizzy drinks for mixers and non-drinking guests. Make sure you have plenty of ice and sliced citrus fruits such as lemon and limes too.
Pride party fun and games
It’s not just the under-11s who get to have all the fun.
Gather your guests and get them all fired up with some party games. Here are a few ideas to try:
- Guess the Intro – Two teams compete to correctly identify song intros. You’ll need something to write on, speakers, and an impartial judge who doesn’t like to be argued with.
- The Lap Game – This is for those who don’t mind getting a little up close and personal. Everyone takes a seat in a circle and answers yes or no questions. Those who answer yes move one space to the left. Those who say no stay where they are. See where this is going?
- Charades – Fill a hat (or spare bowl) with the names of LGBT+ singers, movies, actors, or books, and act them out.
- Costume contest – Encourage your guests to fit their Pride party outfits according to the theme on your invites. Offering up a prize as an incentive always works, so keep an extra bottle or two of Madame F on the side.
Of course, there are other twists to explore. For guests that love hitting the high notes, you could go with hosting a karaoke party. Or, with summer in full swing, head outside and plan the perfect Pride summer picnic party.